Saturday, November 21, 2009

BDK Hall Of Shame - Chris Frantz on the mic.



Every once in a while I come across a drummer doing something that makes me slap my forehead in befuddlement. Things like that need documentation.

In this case, I came across this gem while watching Stop Making Sense, probably one of the best live concerts I have ever seen. It's an incredible performance, I've probably watched it ten times. but something happens in the middle that always makes me shudder, and it's all Chris Frantz's fault.

Don't get me wrong, I love Chris. I even wrote about him here, but when Tom Tom Club takes the stage to give David Byrne a chance to change into his over sized suit, Frantz uses the opportunity to embarrass himself. It's not that he shouldn't have a mic, hell, Tom Tom Club is his band, he can do what he wants. It's that his random out bursts of "check it out!" and "SHA!" on his snare hits are so cliche and out of place that he instantly becomes the most annoying person on stage. By the time he starts chanting "James Browwwwwnnnnn" I find it unbelievable that someone could act SO WHITE. At best he sounds like a confused hype man repeating himself as he fails to get a reaction. At worst he sounds like an out of touch investment banker trying to emulate 1980's black culture in an effort to seem hip.

Maybe I'm overreacting, but as the song goes on and he doesn't shut up, I cringe at the sound of his voice. It's the only part of Stop Making Sense that makes it feel dated, and I resent Chris for that.

I also think it's interesting that I can feel embarrassed for someone for something they did before I was even born.

If you can't see the embedded video, click here to watch it on Youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment