Wednesday, October 21, 2009

HFX Pop Explosion Drummers Pt. 1



This week marks the beginning of the best reason to live in Halifax, the Halifax Pop Explosion. I've been fairly busy, I just got back from a week long tour to Ontario (where my laptop kicked the bucket). I returned to the city only to have over 100 bands playing various shows over the next five days. Needless to say, I'm going to be too busy to probably post any actual album reviews for the next week or so. While I'm going to all of these shows, I figured I might as well locate as many drummers playing the Pop Ex that I can, and get them to give their favorite "drummers" album.

So after a fun time at The Paragon last night filled with Sauza girls, Rock and Roll and Coors Light (because it was either THAT or Canadian.....) here's what I have.

Lance Purcell of Halifax's A History Of :

Shai Hulud - Hearts Once Nourished With Hope and Compassion
"This album sat in my CD player for most of '99"


Owen Lawson of Montreal's Red Mass :

Lightning Bolt - Ride The Skies


"Ride The Skies is an outpouring of pure creativity."


Lucas Fredette of Toronto's Dinosaur Bones :

Steely Dan - The Royal Scam


"Very Minimalist. The less is more approach, nothing but groove."

So there we have it, three totally different albums from three totally different drummers. Stay tuned to see if I keep going out.

No comments:

Post a Comment