Wednesday, December 8, 2010

Indie Spotlight - Orphan Choir - S/T


I've always had a lot of respect for Nate Gelinas. Orphan Choir were one of the first bands I met on tour that I really felt a connection with, musically and socially. Nate played the drums with force and precision, and he's one of the lucky guys who just looks cool playing the drums.

We picked up the Orphan Choir vinyl last time we were in Windsor, Ontario. That was six months ago and I still listen to it constantly. Songs like the Night Nurse are just so rich in tone and energy, with Gelinas' playing just hard enough to be noticed, but never pushing others aside.

The way he locks in with the bass most of the time is reminiscent of mid seventies studio-rock, but his hands keep things chaotic enough that it never feels overdone. Nate does a lot of stuff on this record that is really stylish, and it's that style that sort of holds the album together thematically for me. The guitars and vocal styles change quite a bit, but the drums keep it all kind of cemented.

Sure, maybe I could use my blog to give props to people and bands that I know personally, but where is the fun in that? Besides, I just said I respected him, I never said I liked him. Nate Gelinas is actually a huge asshole.

I'm kidding.

Please don't hurt me Nate.





No comments:

Post a Comment