Monday, November 15, 2010

Komeda - The Genius of Komeda


While it's fairly pompous to label yourselves geniuses on your own album, I gotta admit that this Komeda record is fairly infectious. I threw it on after finding it in a pile of junk CD's someone gave me, I figured I'd see if anything caught my interest before I dumped the lot of them. I noticed that the album was produced by Pelle Henricsson who had produced the masterpiece that is Refused's The Shape Of Punk To Come, so I figured I would give it a shot. Warm, lush indie-pop sounds hit my ears, reminiscent of other European pop bands like Stereolab and Laakso, but with a slightly darker twist. The songs take a steady rhythmic pulse and expand on it with jazz-like melodies and sultry vocals, a nice blend of everything.

Jonas Holmburg's drumming spans lots of styles, from the noisy straight rock beats on More Is More to the latin infused patterns on Rocket Plane (Music To The Moon) that build and swell with well placed cymbal crashes.

Boogie Woogie/Rock and Roll has a really cool New-Wave feel to it but with much smoother rhythms, Holmburg's playing never jolts you, it always feels very methodical. In Disko he takes a few bars to really play some cool off time shots, and they feel as organic as everything else.

Maybe I should have listened to more CD's in that pile before tossing them, I could have found a bunch of hidden gems.

Nah, probably not. One out of twelve ain't bad.

Most music sucks.





No comments:

Post a Comment