Monday, August 17, 2009

Tortoise - Millions Now Living Will Never Die


This is how I picture Tortoise was formed, in my head. It all started with a conversation between John McEntire and Doug McCombs.

JM: Hi, Doug.
DM: Howdy John.
JM: I have this idea.
DM: Well golly John, what is it?
JM: We should start a band.
DM: Gosh John, but we're both drummers.
JM: I know, but we're awesome drummers.
DM: We sure are.
JM: Exactly, and you know how we always seem to think up really original, cool rhythms on our own?
DM: I sure do.
JM: Well what if we could like, do THAT, and then, we could just get a bunch of our awesome musician friends to like, join our band, so then we can have different line ups, and work stuff out with our favorite musicians.
DM: That sounds like it would be swell, who did you have in mind?
JM: Well, you like Slint, right?
DM: Well sure. Doesn't everyone?
JM: Ok, so like, we could maybe get that guy from Slint, you know the one that plays a bunch of instruments?
DM: Yeah he's awesome.
JM: Well, maybe we could get him to play on maybeeeee, I dunno, our second record?
DM: Let's do 'er up.

Later, after getting David Pajo from Slint to play on Millions Now Living Will Never Die, this is how I picture John and Dave's conversation going as they are sitting on the couch in the studio, listening to the final master.

JM: Oh man, this sounds great.
DM: Sure does.
JM: I really like the way it kicks off with like this huge epic, twenty minute song.
DM: Yeah and its got that really steady krautrock beat, and all of those cool effects on the drums.
JM: I call those my science.
DM: Your science is awesome.
JM: Thanks. I really like what you do* after that, you play that half time beat with this hip hop-ish kick drum pattern. Genius.
DM: Yeah, I sure am glad I thought that one up.
JM: Oh here comes Glass Museum, I love how dark and cavernous the drums sound on this one.
DM: Pfft. It's nothing compared to those sixteenth notes you got going on in The Taut and Tame.
JM: I forgot about those, those were awesome.
DM: Sometimes, I forget what a good idea it was to make this band, then I remember how talented we are, and how fun this is, and then I get so excited I almost pee in my pants.
JM: It's a good thing we're awesome drummers, because this could have sounded horrible.
DM: Yep, but it doesn't.
JM: We're totally BFF.
JM: Totally.


*I actually have no idea who is playing what.

Audio/Visual Evidence: Glass Museum, Thirty minute live set.

1 comment: