Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Radiohead - In Rainbows


This isn't my favorite Radiohead album. Actually, it's not even in my top 3. However, it does have it's own charms and I chose it for one specific reason. Before it was released I ordered it off of the Radiohead website for free, and the morning of it's release I woke up to a nice e-mail from Radiohead themselves saying "Good morning Pinky! Here's our new album!", and I promptly added it to my Ipod, legally, for free.

Ok, I'm kidding. That actually happened, but it's not why I chose it.

Up until In Rainbows Radiohead always felt like the Thom Yorke and Jonny Greenwood show to me. Their albums were always fantastic, sometimes stellar, and the other bandmates were always impressive but there was something missing. The other guys always seemed to be in the backround while Thom made his bleeps and bloops and Jonny jangled around with all of his snazzy effects.

I mean, lets be honest, Kid A is probably my favorite record, but drummer Phil Selway plays on roughly 35% of it (maybe even less). It was Thom's record. He showed tremendous ability on OK Computer, but that was really Thom's record too. Jonny really comes through on Hail To The Thief, so that's his record.

In Rainbows is Phil's record. Or at least, it's as much of a record as Phil is going to get.

In Rainbows is the first Radiohead album that feels like it was written and recorded as a band. They were always a great live band, but this time it really transferred onto a record. Songs like Weird Fishes play out over a long time, with Phil playing a steady beat but changing his dynamic ever so slightly. He really has a graceful touch on the drums and it gets explored fully all over this record. He can still keep the energy up (like on Bodysnatchers), or maintain slow, steady time while building up to a climax (All I Need has him making a slight shift in his right hand, crashing the ride, but it makes a world of difference). Every other member of Radiohead seemed to hold back on this record, they toned themselves down. This left a lot of space, and Phil was there to "Phil" it (cheesy pun intended).

If I had to choose one song that showcased Selways ability, it would have to be Reckoner. He has a ride bell that cuts through everything, and really gives the song it's momentum. At the same time he is playing in 4/4 but he plays a slight skip that throws you off, it feels like it's odd time. Some people try and play odd time and make it seem straight, Phil has the ability to play straight time and make it feel odd.

This was Radiohead's Seventh album, but seeing as how it's the first where they feel truly comfortable in the studio as a band, I look at it as a second debut album, the beginning of a new era.

Let's just all hope this era doesn't have a Pablo Honey in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment