Monday, May 11, 2009

Indie Spotlight : The Inflation Kills - S/T


I really like making bold, unverifiable claims on the internet. It's what makes doing this worthwhile, so here is another one. The Inflation Kills' self titled album is the most underrated Canadian album in probably the last 10 years. I am basing this on my estimation of how many copies of it they sold (lets say, probably at least 500 but definitely no more than 1000), compared to how many albums (everything, including shitty CD-R's of your local high school bands) released in the past 10 years it is better than (definitely 75%, possibly 85%). If I gave out awards pertaining to my personal life, this album would win longest run on my 2 gig Ipod (going on 3+ years, beginning the day I got it). It would also win the award for album my band(s) listen to the most on the road.

Do me a favor, if you have this record, and you agree with me, even just a little bit, leave a comment. It does'nt even have to be much, just a little nod or thumbs up so I don't think I am a complete moron. If you are on facebook, don't leave me a comment there, go to the actual blog HERE, and leave a comment that will be forever cemented into the internet (instead of dying away in my old high school friends' facebook feeds).

I could talk forever about this record, the guitar tones, the awesome lyrics, how it's probably the only melodic math rock pop record in existence, but this is a drum blog started to talk about drums so lets talk about how awesome the drums are.

It all starts with Nick Daleo.

He has an interesting set up (he plays with his ride cymbal directly next to his high hats, giving him serious ride bell control), he comes up with awesome, original beats (there is a rhythm in Children where he does this super fast stick clicky/snare rim thing that I had never heard before or since), and he has super long dreads that flap all over the place as he flails around (but not anymore, as of a couple weeks ago).

Nick also manages to hit the drums really hard, regardless of speed. He has a confident ability, every hit seems sure and accurate. A lot of Inflation Kills songs have these jarring stops all over the place, little drum and bass shots that can be easy to lose track of, but Nick is bang on every time. This album was recorded live (except for vocals I think) so it goes to show how tight this band was.

When you meet Nick (and you will, trust me), you realize that he gets his enthusiastic, energetic way of playing drums because he is an enthusiastic, energetic person. He plays in multiple bands, has better taste in music than you ever will, and knows at least one person that you know. I'm serious, if there was a Six Degrees of Nick Daleo most Canadian people would only need 2 degrees. He is a professional, national talent who still hasn't gotten proper recognition for his ability, but I am still certain that he will.

I have heard talk that there is a reunion tour coming up. Maybe these guys will finally get the attention they have long deserved.

Audio/Visual Evidence: When Clones Come

2 comments:

  1. nods and thumbs up x1000
    but you already knew that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's an underrated album. I'll give you that.

    ReplyDelete